Quantcast

[fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Pan, Jerry Yun

Hi,

I am looking at the OAI provider service and I have the following question: Does the service only cover DC metadata, or if any other designated datastream possible? I am using a special datastream for Geosciences metadata (FGDC standard), and I like that metadata to become available via OAI-PMH, so I am wondering if the ProAI Service can support that.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green

Jerry

The service can be configured to cover any metadata you need.  We serve up both DC and a UK thesis speciality called ‘UKETD_DC’ to which list we shall shortly add MODS.  It’s all configurable.

Richard Green

Consultant to Library & Learning Innovation, University of Hull

managing the CLIF, Hydrangea in Hull and Hydra (Hull) Projects

http://edocs.hull.ac.uk

http://www.hull.ac.uk/clif

http://hydrangeainhull.wordpress.com

https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/hydra

I am looking at the OAI provider service and I have the following question: Does the service only cover DC metadata, or if any other designated datastream possible? I am using a special datastream for Geosciences metadata (FGDC standard), and I like that metadata to become available via OAI-PMH, so I am wondering if the ProAI Service can support that.

Thanks,

-Jerry

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to http://www.hull.ac.uk/legal/email_disclaimer.html

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

ivashrestha
Hi Richard,
We have a datastream with DSID "FGDC.xml" and content as follows:
<metadata>
   [xml-content]
</metadata>

We want to expose this datastream using OAI-PMH support. And the changes that we added to the proai.properties file are

driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc fgdc
driver.fedora.md.format.fgdc.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC.xml

After these changes the datastream is still not being exposed because when we do a
http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=metadata      we get

Is there something we are missing?

thank you so much
Biva

I am looking at the OAI provider service and I have the following question: Does the service only cover DC metadata, or if any other designated datastream possible? I am using a special datastream for Geosciences metadata (FGDC standard), and I like that metadata to become available via OAI-PMH, so I am wondering if the ProAI Service can support that.

Thanks,

-Jerry

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green
Two things spring to mind.  First (apologies for asking) you have put
the appropriate oai entries into the RELS-EXT of each object haven't you
(<oai:itemID>)?  Second, I wonder if there is some case sensitivity -
you have both FGDC and fgdc: I wonder if they should all match?

Try also

http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListMetadataFormats and see if it
returns fgdc.

We have a datastream with DSID "FGDC.xml" and content as follows:
<metadata>
   [xml-content]
</metadata>

We want to expose this datastream using OAI-PMH support. And the changes
that we added to the proai.properties file are

driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc fgdc
driver.fedora.md.format.fgdc.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC.xml

After these changes the datastream is still not being exposed because
when
we do a
http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=metadat
we get

<OAI-PMH xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/OAI-PMH.xsd"><responseDate>2011-06-1
4T11:12:25Z</responseDate><request
verb="ListRecords">http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai</request><error
code="cannotDisseminateFormat">Repository does not provide that format
in
OAI-PMH responses.</error></OAI-PMH>

Is there something we are missing?

thank you so much
Biva

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

ivashrestha
Hi Richard,

http://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListMetadataFormats
returns oai_dc only.

And now I have everything in capital case::
driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc FGDC
driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC.xml

Can you explain a little more on oai entries into RELS-EXT because I have done no changes to RELS-EXT and I didn't find it mentioned in the documentation (sorry). Also just FYI we don't want to expose RELS-EXT. We want to expose the FGDC.xml datastream which is a Managed content Control Group.

Sorry and Thank you,
Biva
Two things spring to mind.  First (apologies for asking) you have put
the appropriate oai entries into the RELS-EXT of each object haven't you
(<oai:itemID>)?  Second, I wonder if there is some case sensitivity -
you have both FGDC and fgdc: I wonder if they should all match?

Try also

hxxp://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListMetadataFormats and see if it
returns fgdc.

We have a datastream with DSID "FGDC.xml" and content as follows:
<metadata>
   [xml-content]
</metadata>

We want to expose this datastream using OAI-PMH support. And the changes
that we added to the proai.properties file are

driver . fedora . md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc fgdc
driver . fedora . md.format.fgdc.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC.xml

After these changes the datastream is still not being exposed because
when
we do a
hxxp://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=metadat
we get

<OAI-PMH xsi:schemaLocation="hxxp://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/
hxxp://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/OAI-PMH.xsd"><responseDate>2011-06-1
4T11:12:25Z</responseDate><request
verb="ListRecords">hxxp://localhost:8080/fedora/oai</request><error
code="cannotDisseminateFormat">Repository does not provide that format
in
OAI-PMH responses.</error></OAI-PMH>

Is there something we are missing?

thank you so much
Biva

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green
I think what is happening then is that you are getting a spurious error
message.  Each object that you want to expose must have an oai
identifier in its RELS-EXT along the lines of:

<oai:itemID>oai:hull.ac.uk:hull:1234</oai:itemID>

We use oai: + domain name + PID.  This identifier causes the object to
be indexed by PROAI.  Without this no FGDC datastreams will have been
indexed and this *may* be at the bottom of the problem.

In the RELS-EXT you will also have to declare the extra namespace:

xmlns:oai="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/"

Let's fix the missing identifiers first and take it from there.

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

ivashrestha
Hello Richard,
First of all thank you so much for being patient. I am not clear yet as to why we need to add entries to the RDF. In the documentation of OAI-PMH (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FCSVCS/OAI+Provider+Service+1.2.1) it clearly says that it:

  1) Supports any metadata format available through your Fedora Repository via a Datastream or dissemination service
  2) Supports sets that are expressed as RDF relationships in your digital objects' RELS-EXT Datastreams as exposed via the Resource Index

Are these two same thing or linked. Because we are trying to achieve the first one here not the second one. Again I really appreciate your patience and I would really appreciate if you could explain as to why we would need those entries in RELS-EXT when we are trying to achieve the support number one and not two.

thank you so much
Biva

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green
Many repositories do not expose *all* their content for harvesting.  The
oai item ID in the RELS-EXT is the hook that causes PROAI to index an
item and serve it up.  Your (2) below relates to OAI-PMH harvesting sets
so that people can harvest (say) just your physics content rather than
all of your exposed content.  These sets are optional.

Without the RELS-EXT entries PROAI will not expose anything.

Richard

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

ivashrestha
Thank you Richard

We have our RELS-EXT as such

<rdf:RDF xmlns:fedora-model="info:fedora/fedora-system:def/model#" xmlns:oai="http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/" xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
  <rdf:Description rdf:about="info:fedora/demo:22">
    <oai:itemID>demo:22</oai:itemID>
    <fedora-model:hasModel rdf:resource="info:fedora/fedora-system:ServiceDefinition-3.0"></fedora-model:hasModel>
  </rdf:Description>
</rdf:RDF>

We are testing this locally that is why we have pid only in line <oai:itemID>demo:22</oai:itemID>

Also in the proai.properties file we have
driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc FGDC
driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/RELS-EXT

But still the ListMetadataFormats query only gives oai_dc. Is there anything that we are missing.

Biva

[...]

After these changes the datastream is still not being exposed because when we do a hxxp://localhost:8080/fedora/oai?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=metadat
we get

<OAI-PMH xsi:schemaLocation="hxxp://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/
hxxp://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/OAI-PMH.xsd"><responseDate>2011-06-1
4T11:12:25Z</responseDate><request
verb="ListRecords">hxxp://localhost:8080/fedora/oai</request><error
code="cannotDisseminateFormat">Repository does not provide that format in OAI-PMH responses.</error></OAI-PMH>

Is there something we are missing?

thank you so much
Biva

------
EditLive Enterprise is the world's most technically advanced content authoring tool. Experience the power of Track Changes, Inline Image Editing and ensure content is compliant with Accessibility Checking.
hxxp://p.sf.net/sfu/ephox-dev2dev

------
EditLive Enterprise is the world's most technically advanced content authoring tool. Experience the power of Track Changes, Inline Image Editing and ensure content is compliant with Accessibility Checking.
hxxp://p.sf.net/sfu/ephox-dev2dev

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green
driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc FGDC
driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/RELS-EXT

The second can't be right.  Should be:

driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC ?

Richard

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Chris Wilper
Hi,

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 11:56 AM, Richard Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> driver.fedora.md.formats = test_format formatX formatY oai_dc FGDC
> driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/RELS-EXT
>
> The second can't be right.  Should be:
>
> driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.dissType = info:fedora/*/FGDC ?

If the record you want to deliver is in the FGDC datastream (and it's
called exactly that in the target objects), that setting above would
tell proai what to look for. But earlier, Biva indicated that it's
actually the FGDC.xml datastream. If that's the ID that's used in the
objects, then that's what you need to have at the end of this
configuration item.

Another thing to check: I believe you'll also need to have defined the
following properties:

driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.uri = (the XML namespace URI of the
format you're delivering)
driver.fedora.md.format.FGDC.loc = (the URL of the schema of that format)

For example, I just stumbled on the following post that shows how
Emory added a few formats to their oai provider configuration:

https://techknowhow.library.emory.edu/etd-documentation/fedora-oai-provider-configuration-etd

If fixing the datastream id in the .dissType setting and adding the
above two additional configuration values doesn't do the trick, can
you check the log file for any WARN or ERROR entries?

- Chris

Re: [fcrepo-user] question on OAI-PMH

Richard Green
Thanks, Chris!